Saturday, June 4, 2011

Thirty Four Days...

It is crazy to believe that the next seven days I will be leaving my job. I will be leaving ACTS Retirement Life, a place that I have been employed since I was fifteen years old. A community, St. Andrews South, where I literally and figuratively grow up in. Truly, I believe I would not be the person I am today without that job; without meeting the people and working with the people that I do. That I did.

In thirty four days, I will be leaving all I know, all I have ever known.

In the next thirty four days, I am traveling to Lebanon in order to get back to my roots, to establish myself in a foreign country in hopes to feel connected. Being a first generation American has been complex, I was too foreign for Americans with my kebab and my tableah; and on the other hand, I was to American for the Lebanese because I did not know the native tongue or any other tongue then English.

I have decided to take this homage to Lebanon in order get to my roots, something that I have forever longed to be a part of. As the years pass by, soon what will be expected of me is a career, marriage and children. But before all that pressure, I want to take this leap of faith. To, in a way, stop my life and jump head first, to stop all the thinking and planning and just live, live for me. So when I no longer a "me" but a "we," I am able to pass down my heritage through my eyes because I was able to live it.....all in thirty four days...

<3Sabine

No comments:

Post a Comment