Saturday, September 17, 2011

Baalbek Ruins & Nabi Chit

Today, I went to Northern Lebanon in the Bekaa Valley to Nabi Chit, where my Aunt Wajiha has a beautiful house there and she was having a huge lunch at the house.

But, before it started, my Uncle Jamil, Hussein, and I went to the Baalbek Ruins. The Ruins date over 9,000 years! It is the setting of Jupiter's Temple (Zeus aka in Greek), The Round Temple of Venus (Aphrodite aka in Greek) and the Temple of Mercury (Hermes aka in Greek).  I so was geeking out.


A little google info:  Baalbek, known as Heliopolis (the ‘Sun City’), was one of the largest sanctuaries in the Roman Empire. It holds the largest and most noble Roman temples ever built, and among the best preserved. Baalbek is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and has long enjoyed a reputation as one of the wonders of the world. The town is located in the Bekaa Valley, about 85 km north east of Beirut, at an altitude of 1,170 metres. The historic settlement in the area of Baalbek dates back 9000 years. After Alexander the Great conquered the Near East in 334 BC, the town was named Heliopolis. Starting in the first century BC, the Romans built a temple complex in Baalbek. The monumental temples in Baalbek proclaimed the power of Imperial Rome. Among the gods worshipped here were Jupiter, Bacchus, Venus and Mercury. In 637 AD a Muslim army captured Baalbek after defeating the Byzantine army at Battle of Yarmouk. It became a bone of contention between the various Syrian dynasties and the caliphs of Damascus and Egypt
  





I went in Baalbek alone, so it will explain all the myspace/facebook head shots... haha 






:)









So I was approached by one of the men working at the Ruins, and he offered to take some pictures for me. However, he kept on suggesting these odd posses, and I was like okay (weirdo), until I looked at the pictures and he was setting me up for some force perspective shots. They turned out pretty cool.






Then the man asked if I wanted to follow him and get some coffee, that was my cue to peace out, because it was getting weird. Haha and I was alone. and in my mind I was thinking (in a chris griffin vocie) "I need an adult, I need an adult" haha



CAMEL! 

thats a stereotype in a picture






Lunch, was of course, amazing. The food was incredible


The gorgeous view



No comments:

Post a Comment